Well sap season is over now. We got about 1500 litres of syrup plus the maple butter. It was a very good year. Now the clean-up starts. All the equipment needs to be taken apart and cleaned, the taps removed and the lines need to be sanitized.
Maple in The County 2016
Just want to thank everyone that came out to see us. It was a wonderful time. We were so glad that everyone enjoyed the Walt drops, we heard so many people say how much they enjoyed them.
We wanted to thank all of the performers for all their hard work. The music was wonderful.
We especially wanted to thank all of our volunteers. They make this event possible. Without their tireless help this would not be able to happen.
Just letting everyone know that plans are already underway for next year. Already made some changes. Already added some other treats. Can’t wait!
Well the store is well stocked with lots of this year’s product. Maple syrup and maple butter. Saturday the 2nd of April we bottled 22 dozen jars of maple butter and on Sunday we bottled 240 litres of syrup. Remember we would be happy to ship you whatever you need from the store. We accept visa, MasterCard and debit in the store.
August 6th 2016
The planning is well under way for the jamboree / fundraiser for the Picton Hospital Foundation. There will be a pancake breakfast and then at lunch time we will be serving hamburgers and beef on a bun, fries with gravy and a cold drink. We are having a vendors market in the one field. Anyone who wants to set up a booth please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking for produce, baked goods, and craft vendors. As events are confirmed we will post on Facebook and our website.
4 slices bacon
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1 – 1 1/4 pound Brussel sprouts halved
½ cup chicken broth
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Salt & freshly ground black pepper.
2 tbsps. pure maple syrup
• Cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel and let cool. Remove all but 2 tbsps. of fat from the frying pan.
• Add butter and onion to skillet. Sauté over medium heat until translucent approx. 7 – 8 mins. Stir in Brussel sprouts and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken broth
• Cover and braise the Brussel sprouts until not quite tender, about 3 mins. Uncover the pan stir in the mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook uncovered until the Brussel sprouts are tender and the liquid is reduced to a glaze 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup just before taking off the heat. Transfer to a serving plate, and crumble the bacon on tip. Serve immediately.
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 tbsps. cream
¼ tsp salt
8 slices bread – crusts trimmed
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Butter for greasing skillet. Warm maple syrup, fruit preserves or lemon juice and confectioners’ sugar for topping.
• Beat eggs in a large shallow bowl until light. Whisk in milk, maple syrup, cream, salt and nutmeg.
• Drop slices of bread into the egg mixture one at a time turning to coat both sides.
• Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat then butter skillet or grill lightly. Cook the bread until golden brown 2 to 3 minutes per side. Keep warm
• Repeat with remaining bread and batter. Serve with warm maple syrup, fruit preserves or confectioner’s sugar.
If anyone has a favorite maple syrup recipe that they would like to share please send it to us and we will share it with our friends.